Monday, June 18, 2012

Homemade Tortillas... by Megan

My new favorite thing to make.... homemade Tortillas! Adam says we will no longer buy them because these are so good.  The best is to cook one, then put a little butter on it, and eat it. I found a couple recipes online and watched a few YouTube Video's... then I was off and running.  This is my second batch of tortillas in two days. :)  Practice makes perfect so we may be eating these quite a bit. I plan to start making these every Monday so we can eat them all week... the recipe makes 12. I found this recipe online but didn't write it down and have been searching for the exact source... but have not found it.   I do not claim this as my own, but its a good one.  I have tried two different recipes and this one was much better. :)

Flour Tortillas

4 C. all purpose flour
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/2 C. Vegetable Shortening (Crisco)
1 C. lukewarm water
1 1/2 tsp salt (dissolved into the water)

Whisk the flour and baking powder together. Mix in the shortening by hand until a very crumbly/course consistency (takes 1-2 minutes). Add the salt to the warm water and pour over the flour mixture.  You want a moist, soft dough but not too moist.  I actually added about a 1/4 C more of warm water so it all came together easily.  Knead a few minutes on your countertop, then cover and allow to rest 20 minutes. Divide into 12 balls and flatten by hand. Keep dough balls covered as you work one at a time. Roll out thin.  I used a rolling pin to get them as thin as possible.  Heat your pan (I love my cast iron skillet for this but any pan will do).  Cook 30-45 seconds. You will know your first side is cooked once you start seeing bubbles forming.  Flip, cook another 30-45 seconds.  Place on a cloth towel and keep covered until all tortilla's are cooked! Yum!!!




1 comment:

  1. you make and sound like everything is so easy. i am going to try making these on my walmart pan. They sure look good and Joe would be in heaven!!!!! Complete and utter heaven!
    You could make cinnamon ones too. wow! the list is endlessssssss!
    move home. damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete